Friday, January 15, 2010

For those of you who chose to remain childfree.?

I'm wondering for those more mature couples that chose not to have children. Do you have any regrets? Did you do all of the things in life that you had planned on because you could as a result of not having any children?For those of you who chose to remain childfree.?
I'm half of a very happy CF couple. We're in our early 30's still and I guess the door isn't completely shut on having kids, but with each passing friend who gets knocked up and starts acting crazy, we get that much more soured on the idea. I'm pretty sure it's not for us. Go on MySpace and read the childfree blogs. There are some really fabulous writers on the subject out there. I especialy liked Roisin (sp?). For those of you who chose to remain childfree.?
I'm 42, my husband's 45--does that count as ';mature';? :-)





We have absolutely no regrets. I knew from my earliest memory that I didn't want any of my own and my husband already had a vasectomy when we met. We haven't done everything we want to do yet, and I won't trot out a list of my accomplishments, but I will say that I never framed my goals as ';I want X, Y, and Z out of life so I'm not having kids because they would be an impediment.'; I knew from the beginning I would never struggle between wanting a family and wanting to make my way in the world so, without that burden, I've just gone and done my thing. As for my husband, he doesn't spend as much time intellectualizing it. He just says, ';I don't want them. What's the big deal?';
Absolutely, and at 58, never have regretted it for a nanosecond. Have traveled the planet, held interesting and lovely jobs, got a great education, can spend $$$$$$$$$$ on anything, go anywhere, and beautiful time to read, symphony tickets every season, a nice car, time to donate to worthy causes.





Never woke up at 3am with a shrieking kid demanding more, and I had no more to give--------- never had to worry about a kid on drugs, or getting someone preggo, or becoming preggo.





Married two wonderful, interesting men.... the first finished raising me, the second killed. Now live with an internationally known artist whom I adore....(life is tooooo short to live in the past).





I became a decent sculptor (with tutoring) and a violinist (never got very good, so am an avid listener rather than participant).





Just because one has the machinery to have kids, doesn't mean one has to have any. And at $250.000/kid with nothing extra like I had as a child, no one can retire at 48 like I did.





Knew at age 11 that kids were just not gonna be in my future by choice... I hated to babysit... and preferred show horses instead.





Those of my friends who had kids, only one is truly happy on how things have turned out with two of the three of them. Most, who have shared, said I made the better choice... one, a pharmacist says it just wasn't worth it. He had four or 5, is 65, depressed, hugely fat, will never be able to retire, and always asked, ';Where are you guys going next year????';





If I had it to do over, I'd change nothing.
No regrets, and I will be 50 next year. I didn't forgo children just so I could do lots of things that I couldn't do if I had them, I just didn't want any for various reasons. That said, I've been able to own a home, do more traveling, and give more to my human and animal friends and family than I could have if I'd had child-related expenses.


I don't regret my choice for a single second.
one thing i regret is when i see a baby and it smiles or turns and smiles, it is like there is something missing there,
I'm 37 %26amp; I'm not having kids. Yes I was able to do a lot that I wouldn't have otherwise. I'm not sure if I'll feel like I missed out on something eventually but that's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment