Thursday, January 21, 2010

For the childfree: what did people start saying when you were ';old'; enough?

You know how if you say you don't want kids when you're young, you get ';you're too young, you'll change your mind'; from everyone. Well, once you hit 30 or 35 and you hadn't changed your mind, how did people's reactions change (people who knew about your choice a long time ago who gave you the ';too young'; crap)?





Sounds like childfree questions go in the parenting section so here it is.





P.S. I'm talking about real childfree people...not people who caved into pressure. As far as I've ever heard, real childfree people have never regretted their decision, only wannabes or people who actually wanted kids but couldn't.For the childfree: what did people start saying when you were ';old'; enough?
We never really discussed it with anyone or made a big thing about it, so it's not a huge issue as far as pressure goes.





But we're in our late 30s now, and been married a long time, and I think everyone has figured out it's not going to happen. People just gradually stop asking.





I've never been resentful of people asking baby questions, as it's normal.





My brother and his wife are newly weds, and told everyone in quite an upfront way that they're not having children and don't want to discuss it or be questioned about it. Everyone was a bit surprised, but generally accepted it.For the childfree: what did people start saying when you were ';old'; enough?
I just think I don't let things like that bother me ... ty.

Report Abuse



I'm not childfree, but don't put me down for it just yet. We have 2 sons, and we lost one in between due to complications where I would have died. The doctors have told me that due to my complicated pregnancies not to have anymore. I'm almost 33, but my mother still bugs me for a girl. I had 31 hours of prolonged labor with the first and pushed hours too soon with our other son to where his heart and my heart both stopped and my husband was sent out of the hospital for an hour across the street at a park because he was so worried about us. My mother knows all of this, but she still bothers me for a girl because of my age. I've always wanted a girl, but I've moved on and accepted it. She recently said something this week again, and I told her to stop. She just doesn't get it. Is having a grand daughter really worth me having the possibility of dying or both of us dying? Our youngest is 6, so it's not like my mother hasn't known about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment