Saturday, January 23, 2010

Do you parents think it's fair that we childfree have to make up for your lack of working?

I post this on behalf of my husband, who is too polite (and Canadian) to say anything about it. Where he works, there is a big deadline looming in the next few months. Everyone has been working long hours to try to get the product out on time. So, I wasn't shocked when he said he had to work memorial day.





I was shocked; however, to find out he was one of the few people who had to come into work. Apparently, the people with ';families'; were conveniently not asked to come in. How uncool is that?! We ARE a family, a family of 2! And, maybe we would have liked to have spent that time together. Why are we getting punished because we have chosen to not have kids?! Do you all as parents really think this if fair treatment of the childfree?Do you parents think it's fair that we childfree have to make up for your lack of working?
I've been in this position before, and it is not fair. He needs to speak up about it. I worked at a company that tried to do ';mandatory overtime'; but all of the people with kids managed to get excused from it- and the rest of us complained, so they changed the policy. Mandatory holiday work should be on a rotating basis- everyone should have to suffer through it equally, kids or not.Do you parents think it's fair that we childfree have to make up for your lack of working?
Did you and your husband have plans for the holiday? Maybe they meant people with plans. I'm sure they did not mean to discriminate based on who had kids and who did not. Just have him speak to his supervisor about having the next holiday off, which would be fair.
Sounds like you should be taking your anger and bitterness out on your husband's company, not those of us who are blessed with children. I've never worked for companies with that policy and neither has my husband.Pretty ignorant to make such a blanket statement huh?
Contact the labor board in your state regarding not being paid for a company approved day off. i.e. he got paid for the holiday, but he did not get paid additionally for actually working that day.
Of course it's not fair, but don't blame parents...blame your husband's employer! I hope he will get compensated for his overtime!
take it up with the management, there is nothing we can do. yeah it sucks....sorry, everyone shouldve just gotten off then.
I agree that it isn't fair. Everyone should share the workload equally.
He needs to speak up about it.NOW. dont wait a second, not a minute, not a day
Well, I think you are completely biased here. My husband and I both often work weekends and holidays and have two children and one on the way. We are both salary (he's US military) and I even have a home office, so for us there is no set time off. If I have work to do I'll be downstairs in my office at 2 in the morning. So to answer the question, the boat rocks both ways.





BTW* I'm assuming he's Canadian and working in the States, because last time I checked I don't think Canadians get Memorial Day. I believe you just had Victoria day and then have Rememberence day in November...
i know the feeling. my fiance is a tattoo artist, and he rarely gets off work, for anything. christmas and thanksgiving is about it, and it sucks. we are a family too, but, his boss doesnt seem to care. as all the other tattoo shops were closed monday, they were working all day, and not one single costomer came in. in my case, it wouldnt do any good to talk to his boss, b/c his boss is a jerk, but, maybe if you two took it up with his boss, maybe it would work. if not, then i say go higher up in the chain of command. and it is unfair for you two. everyone deserves to be together on holidays
  • pimple
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment