Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Why are people against the childfree?

Not everyone wants to have kids and a lot of them are decent people.Why are people against the childfree?
I am childfree and so is my girlfriend. I had a vasectomy when I was 21. I then got in the military (20 years ago). I was married at the time. I was the only one with no kids in my work center. I was accused of being gay. I was even sent to a shrink to find out what was “wrong” with me. During a review of my medical records, the doctor could not believe that I had a vasectomy at my age, and that I got it without having any children.





I think that being childfree is completely outside the experience of most people. They are so narrow minded that they don’t realize that having children is a choice. They think it just happens, and if it does not happen to you, then you must be either gay or impotent.





Often people ask me how many children I have. I say I have none. They will say something like, ';Well you are young';. I just look at them, and let them that I am over 40. They usually can’t believe that I am almost old enough to be their father. I think they are jealous. Just the look on their face is way worth not having children.Why are people against the childfree?
I am sure that being childfree is OK in the millitary today.

Report Abuse



Hey to each their own. Why do you care what other people think? Are they paying your bills? If not then who cares. Just live your life the way you want to and make sure no one gets hurt in the process. Good luck!
I don't think people are so much ';against'; it as they just can't imagine why would someone choose to give up the greatest joy that is to be had in life. Look around - most people either have kids or want to have kids; so as soon as you make a choice that is not the same as the majority, you draw attention to yourself. I have no desire to have kids, but I do acknowledge that I might be different from most other people in the way I perceive things. People react to someone being different than what they expect.
I dont have a problem with it. What ever makes people happy. If that is what they agree to then so be it.
Some people fear or dislike others who are not like them. They cannot fathom someone who doesn't want kids (or likes members of the same sex, or worship a deity that is not theirs, or whatever) so they cope by badmouthing those people.





As a childfree woman, I have been asked what is wrong with me, told I must be defective, told patronizingly that I will change my mind someday, and called selfish more times than I care to count.





I've never grasped what's so great about having kids, but I sure don't put down people who've made the conscious decision to do so. I wish they could do the same for me.
I believe it is because we have been socially brainwashed to WANT to procreate and extend the family unit and carry on the family name/blood line, etc.





You're right -- not everyone wants to have kids, and it's a sad thing when other people cannot accept the views and decisions of the individuals. As long as it doesn't effect the rest of society (or even the offended person!) directly, what difference should it make??!
Apparently I know different people than you do.


I believe E/one makes their own choices. And it's quite acceptable. It's the lousy parents that I find inexcusable.
I'm not against people that don't want children at all. Live and let live. Not everyone is meant to be a parent!
There are alot of people in this world that are like that.. there is nothing wrong with not wanting kids... I dont know why some people tend to think that. I personally have a daughter, and there are times when I want to to be free to run.... and I cant.. got to get home to cook dinner.





Once she is grown and on her own, I want to travel the world with my husband.. (truck driver)
I could care less.





The world needs more OF ME, that's for sure but will be a lot better off without other people's F**K trophies!
I answer questions like they are asked. Mainly because they feel that children are the purpose of marriage and it stems from earlier times thinking of Christianity. These people you refer to frown on your thinking of having no children, and believe they have a right to tell or preach to you on your choice. They like to make you feel guilty for not having children in your marriage. All the sacrifice and costs of having children isn't for everyone, and people should admire those that recognize that rearing children would not work for them. As you put it, still good people, you just have a different slant on your own life's choices than them. The tougher task is putting them in their places for butting their opinions in where they are not welcome. It seems anyone different than anyone else or choose to walk their own directions are always targets for ridicule or tongue lashings. That tack you will have to answer with retorts to stop them for putting their comments where they are not welcome. A quick answer and to the point is best and change the subject to something you would rather discuss or talk about......
I didn't know that anyone was against this??? Anyways there are alot of folks that shouldn't have ever had children to begin with...
I have friends who are in childfree marriages and that is just their personal preference. I think people just expect that after marriage comes children, and do not look at children as a choice the couple makes. My FI and I want children, by I by no means look down upon those who choose not to!
I don't think differently of anyone if they don't want kids. That's perfectly fine by me. Some people have no interest at all to have children. Some hate kid altogether. And others really enjoy the company of other people's kids, as long as they can give them back at the end of the day! :)





People, society, are totally caught up in what THEY believe is best and apply it to what everyone thinks is best.





It shouldn't matter to anyone but you and maybe your spouse!
Easy they want you to be as miserable and tired as they are all the time hahaha. I have no kids got SNIPPED NOT HAVING ANY THATS THE WAY MY WIFE AND I WANT IT.





Because they see people without kids having the easy life and saying to themselves why did we have kids honey?.





Alot of people want to be parents and some well it is accidental and they are pissed they never thought to be more careful or even get snipped to evade the lifelong commitment that parenthood entails.





Times are changing though many people are choosing to stay child free personal choice for me and the iwfe and well the financial burden isn't easy.
I personally don't know anyone who is ';against the childfree.'; Care to be a litle more specific?
Because to a lot of people, its unnatural to have a married couple and not have children.





To be honest with you, I’m not exactly jumping for joy about the thought of being a mom. I could probably live my life with no children and be completely happy. My fiance couldn’t. He already has names picked out. I'm not even pregnant or even trying at this point. He already has a Miami Heat jersey for a newborn (as if I would let him take a newborn to a germ infested arena).





Such is life
nothing wrong w/ not having kids, if you want to be kid-free, so be it! enjoy life, kids are a huge responsibility!





just because someone does not have kids does not mean they are not decent... =)





good luck! God bless! =)
I have no idea. Neither my hubby and I have ever been too keen on the desire to have kids, at least not yet. Maybe down the road our views will change, and if not we both know we can live a great life together without kids. I don't hate people who have kids...It's just personal choice.





We get a tough time with people in his family sometimes, they think we're weird that we haven't had kids yet and always ask 'why haven't you had kids?!?' we just haven't? lol


(married 4yrs, together 12yrs)
I don't have kids and i don't feel like anyone is against me for it and even if they were who cares? not me because it is my life not anyone Else's and i choose how to live my life....I don't need to have a kid so that i can make it even more F'D up than i am ! Why would i do that to a poor innocent child? . LOL
I guess a lot of people resent the fact that some people have waited to have kids, and there they are with 3 kids and not even 25 years old yet. My husband and I are child free, and we have been married 3 years. We have no plans of having children for probably 4 more years. A lot of people don't like that, but we want time to ourselves, time to just be married.

No comments:

Post a Comment