Thursday, January 21, 2010

Are there any childfree or unmarried career women out there?

I'm just wondering what it's like? I love the idea of working hard at my job. I thrive under stress and long hours. There are so many things that I want to do like do, like get involved in politics and do humanitarian work abroad, and travel, things that I could never do as a young woman because I can't afford them. There are so many books I want to read, movies I want to watch, museums and restaurants I want to get to. I think my like would be impeded by a family and might be impeded by a husband. What is it life for women who have chosen this life. I mean, does it get hard because everyone seems to be opting for family life? Does it get hard when you start getting older and losing your looks?Are there any childfree or unmarried career women out there?
I understand your concern and all I can say is: what are you waiting for? reading books isn't expensive, humanitarian work as visiting orphans, saving puppies, etc. shouldn't be scary, learn a new language! I speak 3 myself... I've also wondered all these this things you are thinking right now, I'm also afraid of having a family would stop me from ';saving the world'; but we have to find a balance, meanwhile I find a decent man that shares at least a little of all the passions I have (reading, ecology, psychology, saving animals, etc), I won't sit and cry for all the things ';I probably couldn't do in a future';.





You see the point? you're worrying for something that hasn't even passedAre there any childfree or unmarried career women out there?
I'm only 18, but I have no intention of marrying (I might have a long-term boyfriend, though) or having kids. My chosen career path and my social life are both extraordinarily fulfilling, and I'd be more than happy to sacrifice childbearing for them any day. I know I would make a horrible mother, so that urge doesn't exist.





But to be fair, having a career and a family is doable, as millions of women are demonstrating as we speak. What matters is whether or not you really want them both.
i am 27 years old and no children, I just recently graduated with a Bachelors Degree in Fashion Marketing %26amp; Management. I am happy so far being able to do what I like without being tied down with a husband or children. I would say you don't necessarily have to choose between a family or a career, you can always have both.



I think if you want to devote yourself to a career then it is extremely sensible to stay single. ';He travels fastest who travels alone, and that goes double for women'; as Florence King said. A husband and children will definitely impede you. And if you don't want a husband anyway, does it matter if you eventually start to lose your looks?
When you get older after years of success, it gets even better as you have tons of $$$ to spend and still be financially secure. Go live a power pack enjoyable life !





Why bother about others who are opting for a family life? Everyone's life/situation is different. Do what you deemed fit. Good luck and live well.
I'm not a career woman I am married and child free permanantly. I don't like working that much but there are so many things I'd like to do, books to write, pictures to paint, places to experiences, charities to work for.
From a middle-age guy's perspective-- you might be quite a catch in a few years! Once the 40's come, single women usually have ';baggage';, or some significant social problems. Carpe diem!
Well I'm 25 and I don't know what you mean by losing your looks. Men look at you different when you are older then them. It's like some school boy fantasy. Okay I'm in a self centered, long distance, mutually exclusive relationship with a younger man. There a huge amount of trust and independence that goes into this type of relationship and I actually really enjoy the space. We both know the conditions because we are both creative and passionate about our work. Many of my friends are married with kids and there is pressure all over the place.





It's great when you can find someone to respect your personal goals and not have the sort of interdependence that impedes on them. I don't know how realistic I'm being. Just go for it study and work abroad. It's a gigantic world that most people never are courageous enough to see. You will meet so many interesting people along the way. You will probably meet other people with very similar goals. You only live once.
I am a single, ';career'; woman. A professional with a very nice job, nice lifestyle, and no husband or children.


There are other women in the same situation.


Most people my age are married, many are married several times by the time they are my age. Most (married or not) have children.


I work long hours,and have a lot of responsibility,and a fair amount of prestige in my job. I call the shots. I decide how my money gets spent. I decide how I spend my vacation and and holidays. I decide which clothes go in the washer together. I decide how many dogs and cats I have. I decide which flight to take, or to take the train or to stay an extra day when I go somewhere. I don't have a husband to worry about fooling around or drinking or being under-employed or a jerk.


But I also don't have anyone to take half of the stress when someone close to me has cancer or dies, and I don't have someone to tell me if I am worrying too much or not enough about getting the roof repaired this winter or next winter.


I know people who are married who do not have this either; many married people are very lonely, and I am not. You can be alone, and not be lonely.


I don't have children to take care of me when I am old, so that might be something to think about; but lots of children turn out to be not what their parents wanted and don't take care of their parents anyway, so that's probably not a good argument to have children.


My personal rules for life come from the Bible, so I am not available to have sex with anyone who is not my husband, and I would not date or marry someone who is not a Christian, and most Christian men are married, so there is no dating. Most American men think that if you date someone more than once or twice, you are expected to have sex with them (this comes IMHO from television and movies). I have ';spiritual children';; people that I have shared my faith with, who are important to me, I have Christian brothers and sisters, I have friends, and relatives that I spend time with, and I am very satisfied with my life.
To answer a couple of your questions directly:


';...does it get hard because everyone seems to be opting for family life?';


Not really, but I always knew from my earliest memories that I didn't want kids (I'm 42 now). When you're sure of what you want, you can go ahead with confidence. That's not to say it didn't get annoying when friends, relatives, and strangers asked me, either veiled or directly, ';Why can't you just be normal?!'; But I never thought I was headed down the wrong path. I am married, but my husband treats me like a person with needs and plans and worries of my own, not as a domestic slave or surrogate mommy like a lot of men seem to treat their wives. I know there are not many men who would put up with a woman like me, and I consider myself fortunate to have found him. Goodness knows it took long enough.





';Does it get hard when you start getting older and losing your looks?';


Dunno, never had much in the way of looks to begin with so I figured I'd better go get a personality. I did it pretty much the same way you want to: reading, traveling, going to museums.





I will confess to being a brazen careerist. I have a good job and on the side I do some consulting that takes me to parts of the world I would never have gotten to go to otherwise. That's my definition of success. For others, it's home and family, and that's good, too. But kids are not insulation against loneliness in your later years--go to a nursing home and see how many people are warehoused there and ignored by their children. But if you are out in the world making friends with all kinds of people, you will not be lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment