Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My folks seemed kinda sad about my childfree decision...?

i would like them to understand my decision, and be supportive... but it almost seems like a lost cause (though we have only talked about it the one time). we have a great relationship otherwise.





will it grow on them? should i actively try to defend my position... or just kinda let it be?My folks seemed kinda sad about my childfree decision...?
Society is not fully acceptable for the childfree yet. People, especially other parents, are very old school when it comes to decisions like this.





My dad is kinda like that, because he wants grandchildren to keep the name going (I'm thinking of changing my name). I personally think the childfree are more intelligent, attractive, and they have more opportunties.





After dealing with ignorance from my dad, I think its best to keep your childfree decision to yourself. And if you had a vasectomy, don't tell anyone, not even your family members.My folks seemed kinda sad about my childfree decision...?
Well, of course, your parents want to be grandparents and were probably looking forward to all the fun and good times and love they would have with their grandchildren. So I can understand and empathize with their feeling sad about your child-free decision.





On the other hand, you can't have children just to please your parents. If you really don't want children, then you shouldn't have them.





Perhaps, just give it time and eventually they will accept your decision. If they do bring it up, then you can explain again all your reasons for not wanting children. But I think you can also say that it would really be unfair to bring unwanted children into the world - that it would really be sad for them and since you feel that way, you cannot have children just for their sake.
I was on the same boat as you. My parents were very disappointed when I said that I didn't want to have any children. They rebutted w the cliched ';you'll change your mind';. Many years later and on long term birth control, I still don't have that motherly instinct. In fact, kids crying and whining makes my blood boil.





Last Christmas when I went home, I was talking to dad alone. I talked about all my plans, on the path of owning my own business, traveling every year... pretty much enjoying life. He talked about how much he missed me, all the problems of parenthood... and then said: you are making a wise choice. Enjoy your life, you only get one.





He loves me, but the difficulties in having and raising children sometimes is not worth it. You simply won't miss a person you never met.





I'd say, kinda let it be. Your parents love you and will eventually accept your decision. Good luck
Being openly child free, I hear this all the time.





They want grand-kids so that they can hold on to their youth.





They will just have to get over it. Point out to them how hard it is to live. Honestly when your grandparents were born, only the father had to work in order to own a house, and a car. Odds are your parents had to both work to have the same when you were young. What next? It is better just to not bother making babies.
You are just going to have to give it time to sink in. Don't expect an immediate acceptance.





Mine didn't take it so well either, but after I had a vasectomy last year, their fate was sealed. My siblings will have to make grand-kids if they want them. They have not mentioned it since.
Bravo in the society we live in children are neglected,battered, and abused. I am glad someone else has made a decision before a test stick has a positive sign. don't feel bad for being responsible.
let it be. give it time to sink in. i have 3 grown children and no grandchildren. i think its an ok thing. the world is getting worse and worse. why bring children into it

No comments:

Post a Comment