Tuesday, January 19, 2010

When childfree people get older, who's going to take care of them?

People ask me this all the time because of what I think of kids personally. They ask ';Who's going to take care of you when you get older?'; I can take care of myself!








So the question is when childfree individuals get old, who's going to take care of them? Is it possible for them to take care of themselves, have the support of young people in their family, move to a home, or otherwise?





If people have kids just for them to their kids take care of them, wouldn't that be quite selfish?When childfree people get older, who's going to take care of them?
I have heard that one before. I say the same person that takes care of the 82 year old across the street. Nobody, and she has three kids. I know another one that is 90 and she has 4 kids. Nobody takes care of her. My grandmother took care of herself until she died at 88 (not like my parents would help).





People that think ther kids will care for them are kidding themselves.





What will I do? When I am 60, and can still perform sexually, I will marry an Asian woman that is 50-55. All I have to do is treat her like she is a queen, for the rest of my life, and she will care for me until I die. That is the culture.When childfree people get older, who's going to take care of them?
savings, insurance, assisted living, teh state, and extended family - the same people who are going to take care of people who have children. Society has changed; people are much more mobile, so you can not expect your children to remain nearby when they have jobs and families of their own. further, children in today's society resent being de facto insurance policies - so expecting that having children is guaranteed elder care is pretty much a ticket to welfare.


***What is funny is that these smug, self righteous people who had kids thinking that thier kids are going to ';take care of them'; are now the same people raising their GRANDKIDS becaue their kids are so selfcentered- funny how thaqt works!
There seems to be this social expectation that children are supposed to take care of their parents as they get elderly. Sadly that's not always the case. Go to any nursing home and I guarantee you there will be a surprising number of senior parent who were dumped off there by their kids because the kids didn't want to take care of them.





Of course this is one of those things those people who ask you questions like Who's going to take care of you when you get older?'; will never acknowledge.
And that's just wishful thinking to think that just because you have kids, they are going to take care of you when you're older. A lot of kids want nothing to do with their parents when they move out, so that's not even assured. You should always have a plan as to what would happen if you couldn't take care of yourself, you shouldn't depend on your kids or anyone to automatically take care of you just because you think that it is their moral obligation, they just might not feel that way.
Just because a couple has children doesn't mean that the children care enough to take care of their parents. There are places for people to be put when they can't take care of themselves anymore. You can also have someone to stay with you to help you out and there is also in home care. A couple doesn't have children just so they have someone to take care of them when they can't do it anymore.
I know lots of people that are older and childless, more power to them. Hell, with all the money they have saved not raising kids they should have no problem affording a nurse to come help them out.





Personally, I have a child and will NOT be a burden to him when I get into old age. I am planning ahead if the worst was to happen.





I know in most parts of the world, the family takes care of each other, but alot of US families don't have the time or resources to do that.
People who don't have children will be more likely to be able to take care of themselves - with all the money they saved by not raising children!





Plus, one shouldn't assume children will be willing to or able to take care of them when they are older. There's a whole lot of folks out there who have children but are still living in homes!





I don't expect my children to take care of me when I am older, any more than they should expect me to take care of them once they are 18.
People don't have kids just so someone will take care of them but that generally IS how its supposed to be....its the family cycle.





People without children seem to think ';nieces and nephews'; will be there but the FACT is, those nieces and nephews will be inundated with THEIR OWN PARENTS and will not have time for them.





Childless people will sit and have nobody.





Its sad, really.
I suppose some of them can take care of themselves. But if they can't either someone will put them in those homes for old people, they'll go to the hospital and sooner or later, die alone and be forgotten like everybody else. Plus, they might not be completely alone. My grandmother lives by herself not near from most of her kids and she has friends and they take care of eachother
The nursing home, or the SSI the government gives you every month :)


Kids- ehh.. I mean there are some kids that really take care of their old people, but there are some ids that just leave them in the dust...which wouldn't be a meaningful reason to have a child, right.
I don't think any person should have a child so they would have someone to take care of them when they are old. There are plenty of nursing homes and assisted living facilities in every state. Plus insurances and Medicaid/Medicare cover all if not most of the costs.
People don't have kids JUST so they will take care of them when they are older. It's just something to think about. Children will provide companionship when all your peers are dying. Some people stay healthy well into old age but the fact is, many do not.
That's what they make nursing homes for...oh and i am sure there are plenty of Child-full people who are there as well. I doubt people have kids just to take care of them when they get old...because there is no guarantee that will happen.
Its good to have children because you want to love them and nurture them and give them a chance at life. We should make plans for our old age and not burden our children. Any help from them is considered a blessing
people without kids usually have more money when they get older because they didn't spend their money on their kids' tuition etc...therefore, they can move to retirement homes or hire private nurses when they get older.
I have a child, but hope if I get old and crazy someday that he won't be burdened with me. I'll tell him to put me in a home.
The question should be if people have children, can they count on those children to take care of them when they're older?? Looking at my kids now, I'd say ';not a chance';!
The staff at Shady Pines.
you should start savin for your nursing home...

No comments:

Post a Comment