Saturday, January 23, 2010

Why don't a majority of people understand childfree people?

Now I've asked about this topic in the past about me not wanting kids and why girls do want them. And I've gotten a lot of nonsense from people (mostly parents or wannabes) telling I'm too young (19) and I'll change my mind.





Has it ever occured to them that some childfree guys don't like/hate children at all, they're very uncomfortable around kids, childfree people had a rough childhood, and kids aren't for them? Have people ever thought that?





So why don't a majority of people, mostly parents or wannabes, understand childfree people? Can't they understand the reasons I've noted above?





PS: I do wish more people would understand that, and girls in my group too.Why don't a majority of people understand childfree people?
For most people who have children or want children it is almost unimaginable to not want them. But on this topic it is usally one way or the other, you either want them or you dont, despite your age. I have kids but I can certainly see why some people wouldnt want them. I have alot of friends who do not want kids, some have had hard child hoods, some wonderful childhoods but just dont want them even if they like kids and are good with them. Its very different to like kids and hanging out with kids and to be a parent. I agree that alot of people will blame it on your age and just dont understand, I too wish people would try to understand more.Why don't a majority of people understand childfree people?
I think it's good that you are able to admit that you do not want children and are not hiding it. It's much better to admit you don't want them ... Kids aren't for everyone... and I am a parent btw.





People sometimes change their minds and 10 years from now you might decide you want one and you might never change your mind. It's your choice and you shouldn't have to defend it.
I understand. I felt the same way.... I didn't want kids. EVER. I never got along with them, never had any interest in them, and I certainly didn't care to. Then, I got pregnant. I remember crying the day I found out and I said ';I'm gonna have to be all motherly and do stuff!'; ... Well my son is now 3, and I can't express how much I adore him and how much he has changed my life and my view of the world. I can understand not wanting kids, and other people should respect that. However, you are still very young, and remember that anything can happen!
I have no issues at all with a childfree life.


I actually am wondering if it is the right lifestyle for my husband and I.


I love kids, and I haven't have a weird childhood past either, I just enjoy the lifestyle I live and i'm not sure kids would fit that lifestyle.
I understand you totally! I'm young and I've already decided I don't want kids at all. It's just not the lifestyle that I want to have. Yes I know kids bring joy to many people but I KNOW I'm not one of them.





I agree with you totally.
hey, more power to you. If you dont want kids, just find a girl that doesn't want them. Kids arent for everyone. And nice on the whole ';childfree';.. kinda make children sound like a addiction lol.
From an evolutionary standpoint, our purpose is to reproduce.








But overpopulation is becoming a huge problem and we need more people to consider not having children (or adopting!).
it is annoying. Most people just can't see how your life could be complete without one.
I completely understand what your saying. I think when you bring up such a touchy subject as ';having kids or parenting'; its almost like bringing up politics. Certain people feel very strongly about it and have no problem voicing their opinion. I think people tend to not get that it is only a matter of opinion and there is no right or wrong way to go about a subject like this. I love kids, I just don't know if I want the responsibility. I've gone through the whole ';wanting to be pregnant'; thing before but when I have so many friends who have kids (newborns up to 8 years old) honestly I just don't know if I want someone else to depend on me so greatly. The last thing I want to do is do the ';normal'; thing and get married and starting having kids and regret it later. That is something you just don't play with. All I know for sure is that now (I'm 21) I don't want kids. I would prefer to not even be with a guy who has kids. I'm not saying that I wouldn't but in a perfect world if I could be with a guy without kids I would. I also know I don't want to to wait until I'm 30 to have kids either. I personally believe for me thats just past the time I would want them. I just really want to enjoy my 20's when I'm young and are suppose to be out having fun without a major responsibility, like a child to raise. So I completely understand how you feel. I may not feel quite as strong against it as you but I get you. ;D





搂Jodee搂
I've had several friends that never wanted children, never had children, and are 50+ in age and have no regrets. Just so you know, someone will always give you a hard time no matter what your choices are, and the best thing to do is just smile and shrug it off. It's not their life, and obviously your life is more interesting than their own if they put that much time and energy into telling you what you're doing wrong. I wish that everyone who didn't like kids would just not have them, maybe there would be a lot less abuse in the world. As for your choices... they are yours, and it's not necessary to have to explain them to less-than-understanding people who have no reason to know your whys. Good luck! :)
I do understand, very completely. But what I don't understand is why people who choose to be childfree make me feel bad for having kids. Take for instance my sister. She's a year an a half older than me, and she'll never have kids because she doesn't want them, period. I respect her for that, and I never ask her about it or talk to her about it. But when I was pregnant, she kept telling me how disgusting I was for having a baby grow inside me, and described it like I had a parasite growing in me!





I repsect peoples' decisions in whatever they choose to do, but if they don't respect me, why should I?

No comments:

Post a Comment