Thursday, January 21, 2010

Do people really think childfree couples are greedy, self-absorbed people?

Someone one just asked a question about childfree people and someone said they were ';greedy and self-absorbed'; and that people with children are ';self-sacrificing.'; Please tell me people do not really think that? My husband and I are happily childfree, and I believe us to be great people. I'm a Biologist, and my works pays very little but is very rewarding for me and the animals I care for. Not to mention, not having children gives me time to do other things like help my friends and family when they need me, and to volunteer at a no-kill cat shelter. Where as, I've met more than a few ';self-absorbed'; parents in my time who spend more time worrying about getting manicures than spending time with their kids.





Do you really think that just because we chose to be childfree, we spend our time and money any differently than the rest of the world? That because we chose not to have children, we don't care about anyone but ourselves?





I hope not, because that would be pretty lame.Do people really think childfree couples are greedy, self-absorbed people?
My best friend decided she did not want children when she was 14 years old and has never changed her mind - she is one of the most self-sacrificing, caring person I know. She is absolutely wonderful with my 2 children - she's my daughter's Godmother...but she was aware that children would not be best for her, and that is a very ';un-greedy'; thing to decide and follow through with. Luckily, she found a wonderful man that feels the same as her. Don't worry about what others think, you know the truth!Do people really think childfree couples are greedy, self-absorbed people?
there are all types in this world. types like you have mentioned, and still a ton more. i think that those who actively choose to be a parent or not tend to be mature, rational, responsible, and especially self-sacrificing persons. they tend to have their priorities in line to who they are and want to be in this life. childless or not, so long as you are doing good within yourself, your family, friends and community, that is what matters in the end.
WOW. My opinion is that people have children because they need something to fill their boring lives. People who fill their time with hobbies, careers and talents are more well rounded and intelligent. You'd be surprise how many people there are out there that have kids because they think it's going to make them more fulfilled and loved. You obviously take pride in your accopmlishments and your work so continue to do so. In the long run If you REALLY wanted to have kids adopt.
That is a stereotype, my sister falls into that category as well, successfull business minded like her husband. That don't mean you are selfish (although she is) some people are not ';kid people';. It's your decision and solely yours. You could be one of the pregnant women that are having abortions or there are 50 possible fathers. LOL You are fine. Let it go.
To each thier own. I would NEVER think that about a person. you can not judge people for thier life choices shame on the person that said that. on a nother thought the first time someone says somthing to someone and they find out they cant have kids who is the a**now
I saw that same comment. Wow!





My husband and I don't have kids either (by choice) married 4, together 12. It's nobodies business but our own what we do with ours lives. Some people just don't want kids, or they choose to not have them until later.





That comment was simply ignorant.
No me and my wife are childless and are not greedy or self-absorbed we just love the time we are able to spend alone together and like to go out and do alot of things that if you had a child would make it difficult. But when we are ready we will have babies
Some people are really narrow-minded. There are lots of reasons people are child free. There are plenty of greedy and self absorbed parents out there that have no business having kids too. Don't give it too much thought, consider the source.
such ridiculous propaganda, maybe put forth decades ago by such as the catholic church? post ww2 social attitudes? i am the oldest of 10 and mother of one. i know the difference, and i would say it is smart!!! to be childfree if one wants. so there. !!!
I don't think that about childless couples. We can all choose what we want and how we live. What you are doing should not be considered wrong. Who are they to judge you? Having children is a personal choice and no one should comment on yours.
That is being stereotypical,Its unfair to make that statement, some childless couples are doing everything possible to have children. It is not always by choice that some couples are childless.
I think they do feel that way about us. I have had my share of abuse from them. I have been called, ';gay';, ';selfish';, ';communist';, ';heathen';, and the list goes on.
whoever said that is ignorant. i'm child free b/c i have infertility issues not b/c i'm greedy and it's ok to not want to have kids if that's your choice. people need to get lives.
well it is a generalization. the greatest percentage of ';child free'; people fit that stereo type. atheists also seem to fit it. i am sure there are many wonderful people out there who are child free, i can think of a few off of the top of my head in my life. but sadly many of them are douche bags. many parents are also douche bags so there you go.
No, not at all. The only people who think that are the parents or future parents. As a childfree, I face harassment all the time. I'm called selfish, immature, too young, all that.





If people chose to never have kids, more power to them. They have more life and travel opportunities, not to mention a better life. I believe taking care of kids are a major stress and are the strain of relationships.
I don't think ';childfree couples'; are greedy or self-absorbed people. Even though that would never have worked for me, I realize that not everybody grows up dreaming of being a Mommy or Daddy.





Everyone deserves to have their choices respected. Ultimately, all one can do is make the choice they are most comfortable with and run with it. If you want to live a certain way and do certain things then do it and don't worry about what other people think.





I think that having children and being ';childfree'; by choice are mutually exclusive ways of living and really hate it when groups are pitted against each other. It is kind of like the stay-at-home mom vs the working mom? Just do what is best for you and leave small minded people to their little thoughts and opinions. :*)





In the end, the only people who should have children are those individuallys who really really really really really want them and who realize that children are forever and it will be about what you can do and feel for them as children and human beings and not what they can do or feel for you the adult.





A lot of people have children because it (unplanned or expected pregnancy) happens or because they want someone who will love them unconditionally. That seems pretty selfish to me. My girls were both very much wanted and planned (the youngest I ';planned'; to have earlier, but she ';planned'; to take until she was ready to ';be born'; :*)





I have no regrets in the ';children'; department or what I have done with my ';time'; on Earth. Your ';time'; is your time and you have the only say in how you chose to spend it.
Lots of reasons not to have kids, but couples only need one.


And the reason is nobody's business.


I'm afraid the people you metion are shallow and short sighted.


Morons fail to realize or think past their noses on some of the reasons people don't have kids.


It isn't selfish or self absorbed to want to spare a child a rare and fatal genetic disorder.


Or to prevent suffering and heart ache of family whose second child will also be born with spina bifida or worse.


Enjoy your life and ignore thoughtless idiots.
My youngest brother and his wife are wonderful with children. They're the type of people who should be parents, because they both just instinctively know what children need. Yet, after 13 years of marriage, they're childless. To someone looking from the outside, maybe it does look ';greedy'; and ';selfish'; that my brother and his wife can take a nice vacation every year, and do whatever they want whenever they want.





But those people on the outside can't see that my sister-in-law has a seizure disorder and a thyroid disorder. Her medications for the seizures have been shown to cause birth defects in an incidence rate that is higher than what my brother and his wife are willing to risk. Her thyroid disorder would make a pregnancy difficult.





So to the nitwits who think childless couples are selfish, just remember - not all childless couples are childless by choice. And the couples who are childless by choice sometimes have a very compelling and UNselfish reason for remaining so.





Self-sacrifice comes in a lot of varieties. Raising children is just one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment