Thursday, January 21, 2010

Anyone else childfree and annoyed with getting stuck with extra work?

I post this on behalf of my husband, who is too polite (and Canadian) to say anything about it. Where he works, there is a big deadline looming in the next few months. Everyone has been working long hours to try to get the product out on time. So, I wasn't shocked when he said he had to work memorial day.





I was shocked; however, to find out he was one of the few people who had to come into work. Apparently, the people with ';families'; were conveniently not asked to come in. How uncool is that?! We ARE a family, a family of 2! And, maybe we would have liked to have spent that time together. Why are we getting punished because we have chosen to not have kids?! Anyone else had to deal with this situation, and how do/did you handle it?Anyone else childfree and annoyed with getting stuck with extra work?
I am surprised to see that sort of thinking today. I am in Southwestern USA and I work for a big company. They don't do as your describe.





However back in the 90's when I was in the US military they did exactly what you are describing. I worked every single holiday because I was the ONLY child-free person in the whole work-center, of nine people.





I don't know if it was just the way the US military is, or if it was the fact that nobody understood child-free back them.Anyone else childfree and annoyed with getting stuck with extra work?
I think it's understandable. Children don't go to school on Memorial day. Somebody has to watch them and it's oftentimes rather difficult to find a babysitter. I had to work Memorial Day because my co-worker could not find a sitter. I was more than happy to do it although my fiance was off.

No comments:

Post a Comment