Thursday, January 21, 2010

Hey Childfree, what do we all have in common?

鈥esides not wanting to have children, and being treated like crap by society.





I have noted a lot of Childfree people have one thing in common. Almost all of them had to take care of a little brother, sister, cousin or whomever before they were old enough to handle that responsibility. I had a learning-challenged younger brother that I had to take care of. I was done being a parent by the time I was about 12 years old.





Rude and inappropriate answers will be reported. Nuff said.Hey Childfree, what do we all have in common?
I think you have a point. I certainly fall into this category. I haven't thought too much about the correlation between sibling care and CFness, but as a kid I was responsible for my sister.





My parents didn't give me the authority to do anything when she misbehaved, though--talk about a situation that will make you crazy! I remember thinking as a frustrated 12-year-old, ';I'm not living my whole life at the mercy of a little person who makes my life hell!'; But I was also an early articulator--I got my first bingo in 4th grade (';But every woman has kids!';, from my teacher no less) when I said I wasn't going to have kids because it would interfere with my job...not that I knew what I was going to do when I grew up, but I knew kids would get in the way. Maybe having to take care of my sister just cemented my feelings.





I wonder if the CF are also disproportionately the oldest sibling in a family (as opposed to a middle kid who takes care of the youngest, or something similar).Hey Childfree, what do we all have in common?
I'm an only child and I'm still childfree. I grew up with a single mom so we struggled a lot. So I saw how hard it was trying to balance work and motherhood. You don't always need siblings. I think as an only child, I like things to go my way and I like being #1 in my life. Yay. =)

Report Abuse



I'm not childfree by choice.


But I do teach. Sometimes it encourages me not to want children, but for the most part it only makes me want them more.

No comments:

Post a Comment