Saturday, January 23, 2010

Childfree people don't deserve opinions?

It seems to me that those who are childfree don't have their opinions taken seriously because they don't have ';real responsibility'; or ';maturity';. I'm starting to get irritated by people treating me as if I'm a foolish child just because I have different desires than they do. Today I was told that I was ';less of a woman'; for not wanting kids. From previous conversations I've had with these people, I know that they're far more ignorant and close minded than I, yet they still speak to me in such a smug, condescending way [for not wanting kids]. What do you say when people treat you like that?Childfree people don't deserve opinions?
You should be applauded for having the wisdom to realize that popping out babies isn't what makes you a mature responsible person. Any fool can make a baby. And having a baby certainly doesn't magically make one either mature or responsible.





There really isn't anything useful to say to people like that. It's like the old saying: ';Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty and the pig likes it!'; I've had to 'visualize smiling pigs' more that once in my life ;)





It sounds like you might have to deal with these people occasionally so you probably don't want to start a war.





You might shut them up for second by asking to ';see your 'Octo-mom Fan Club' card. It must be wonderful to have such a mature, responsible role model to look up to.'; It might give you time to walk away.





Or, ';You know, if I change my mind a few years from now I can have a baby then. What are you going to do when you change your mind?';





Also, many people have an excessive need to try to pump up their self esteem by putting down others. Especially after a few years of their rugrats dragging them down every day. These kinds of people are typically (not always) very prejudiced against anyone who's not like them. That also makes them feel better. And, knowing people, there's a certain percentage who just aren't happy without having someone to fight and argue with, so that's back to the pig story :))





Don't get me wrong, I love my 2 kids and raised them to be good adults. And I admire people who actually are mature and responsible about having, raising and loving their kids. It's a wonderful thing to see that kind of love.





But I have the utmost respect for people, both men and women, who realize their life is/can be rich and fulfilling without adhering to someone's antiquated idea of what they 'should' do or be. It's a tough thing to do in this backwards society, But stick to your guns. Be who YOU are. That's the most rewarding thing for you. You'll not regret it, guaranteed.





If I might throw in a side comment, If you decide to get married, think very hard about retaining your name. You should retain your identity. You'll never know how many guys can't help but feeling just a little that superior when a woman gives up her name. They don't mean to, but they do. It's just a little thing that helps keep your partnership equal. And if your boyfriend won't accept that sort of thing it should tell you a lot about how controlling he will be.





By the way, in case you're thinking I'm some radical feminist type, I'm a guy, 59 years old. I was happily single till in my 30s and heard all the similar comments. Even so stupid as 'what's the matter, not man enough to make a baby yet';. There's smiling pigs of both genders. LOLChildfree people don't deserve opinions?
i cant say i have experienced that


i think it all depends on how you act, how your own maturity is, not whether you have kids or not





anyone who says your less of a women for not wanting kids has some issues that they need to sort out,and you dont listen to a word they say


id say well, excuse me for being less a woman, i must go and sort that out, i had no idea that i was only a woman if i had a kid thanks for the heads up
dont pay attention to negative things that people say about the fact you dont have children..not all couples have the desire to raise kids but that doesnt make them any less of a person..


everyone has opinions but just dont take the negative ones personally...
Other peoples opinions are worth less than what I flush down the toilet in the morning. It's your life, you're in charge, others be damned.
*cries* thanx i just lost my one and only son to my whore wife and she's a stripper *cries more*
I would not hang around with people that stupid - period. ALL my friends who DO have kids, would NEVER make such a stupid statement such as you being less responsible, less mature, or especially say you are less of a woman.





I have 4 kids - and I have GREAT respect for people like you. You know what you want AND are not afraid to be ';different';. I like that in a person.





First of all, if I were you, I would refrain from talking about kids. Seriously. I would either change the subject or refuse to get involved in conversations about kids. No LAW saying you HAVE to tell anyone what your personal choices are - it really is nobodies business. They ask when you are going to have kids, say - ';Who knows'; and close the subject. If I HAD to respond to anyone feeling it was within their rights to call me immature, irresponsible, or less of a woman, I would simply say ';OK, PROVE IT, and do not give me personal opinions, give me FACTS. SHOW ME PROOF';.





IF you make these morons pull out facts, they will not be able to because there are none. In fact, studies prove there are MANY benefits in remaining childless.
I used to yell at them. Now, I just roll my eyes and don't say anything. Or I agree with them. ';Fine, I'm selfish. I'm unfeminine. And what? What's your point?';





They're just reacting badly because they don't understand. Most people want kids so badly, instinctively even, they can't grasp that some people legitimately don't have that instinct. They assume that you're just not doing it because you are too selfish to dedicate 18 years to raising someone, because you just want to play and have a life that's all about you. Well, feh, I have plenty of responsibility... just not that particular one. I don't like kids much, they make me tense, and I have no maternal instinct whatsoever, so why would I reproduce? Just because everyone else does? That makes no sense. It's better to concentrate on the things you are made for, isn't it? And I just don't feel like I was made to be a parent. If that makes me less of a woman, whatever, fine by me. It's who I am and yelling at me won't change it.

No comments:

Post a Comment