Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Why are people quick to judge me I'm single and childfree I thought that was a good thing?

Ok its like I'm horrible for not having kids. Also the fact I don't have kids I should be out partying every night. What is the deal?Why are people quick to judge me I'm single and childfree I thought that was a good thing?
Some people think that it is your duty to have children and they aren't shy about asking about it.





Others think that you couldn't possibly be fulfilled without children, especially if you are female.





To them, I say, I'm perfectly happy without kids and I intend to keep it that way. Thanks for asking.





As you get older, you will find a lot of your contemporaries have also decided to not have children. Your life can be fulfilled with ideas that don't have to do with kids.





In your 20's and 30's, though it is harder to find like minded people. Once you are 40, they all come out of the woodwork.





Good luck.Why are people quick to judge me I'm single and childfree I thought that was a good thing?
Get used to people thinking you're ';horrible'; for not having and wanting kids. There's unfortunately still some stigma attached to it, especially for women. A lot of people also seem to think that childfree people don't want kids because they do want to be out partying every night. I'm much more of a stay-at-home person and always have been. I have many other reasons for not wanting children.
I have no idea!! I am not single, but my man and I aren't really interested in having kids anytime soon (if ever). BUT because of how often people with kids ask us when we are having one, I always feel guilty saying, ';well, we aren't really sure if we want kids.';





I certainly like kids. I teach and I have an avid interest in midwifery and doula's, but I just don't think I want them, especially now.
It is the same people that hammer us about religion. I don’t know where you live, but I live in the American Southwest were most everyone is Hispanic Catholic. I get told I will “burn in Hell” if I don’t make babies. I also was ostracized when I was in the military back in the early 90’s. I was called, “gay”, and sent to a shrink.





They judge you because they can. Don’t try to say anything back. HR will side with the aggressor, as they feel better about terminating a person with no family.





The good news is they let up as you get older. I told people when I was in high school that I wanted no children. At my twenty years high school reunion I found out that a lot of the others had no children. The ones that did called me smart.





Next time someone says anything “smart” to me about not having children, I will just show them my Rolex, and the stamps in my passport.





Sometimes I tell people that it is 10,000 times better to regret not having children than to regret having them. I know plenty of people that regret having them, but nobody that regrets not having them.



Who cares? I mean really, why do you care that some people, who are caught in the mindset of the 1950's judge you by whether or not you have used your ovaries? Why not be secure in the fact that you are happy the way you are? You don't have to live up to anyone's expectations but your own.
what i think is, people are probably VERY jealous that you don't have anything that's tying you down. i find it really surprising that people complain about others not having kids. that's a personal choice. it has nothing to do with them.
~~Anything which is good for you, hurts no one else is a perfect thing! There are know-it-alls for everything imaginable. Stand your ground, I would let them know, unless you ask, you certainly do not need their opinion.~~
I know what you mean. I have all the freedom to do as I wish and I love it! It can be a problem only if you let it be one. It is really none of their business anyway. I am not a partier either.
look, i'm 32. and i ain't married. got no plans of ever getting married. no kids. what's the problem? no one tells me anything
They are narrow minded!
misery loves company.

No comments:

Post a Comment