Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Who wanted to be childfree but changed their mind later?

Do you think that most childfree people, but not all decide that they want to be childfree when they are young but end up changing their mind as they get older? How old were you when you started to want children?Who wanted to be childfree but changed their mind later?
Since I am going on 42 with no children and it was my plan to have it be this way, I personally do not regret the decision I made in my early 20's to decide to never have children even though I do love them.


I felt even back in the late 80's that any reason I could think of for having a child was purely selfish and what a mess the world was becoming.


I was right about the world and even more so now than in the 80's I would not want a child to bring into this world today.


It would be nice to know that when I get old that someone might take care of me or help me out but that is what I think of as selfish reasons.


I'm a great Aunt to all my friend's children and I even think because I never had any of my own, I can relate to them on their level a bit better as I've not been a parent myself.


Everyone has told me over the years what a wonderful mother I would make and I believe so also but I have more of a desire to do other things in this life.


No Regrets hereWho wanted to be childfree but changed their mind later?
When I was 17 I decided that I didn't want children. My family told me I was too young to know then, and that I'd change my mind as soon as my maternal instincts kicked in. I'm 38 now, and still don't want to have children. My biological clock is ticking but I'm sure I'll never change my mind.
My cousin. But I knew she was bluffing. Sure enough - the minute she turned 30 she wanted babies.





I didn't even think about it until I was married and settled. Got married at 29, had first child at 31 and second at 32 - I was very lucky as I got pregnant as soon as we started trying. I now foster teenagers too.
I never wanted children, luckily my husband never did either. At 42 I have no regrets. The childfree do not change their minds, however sometimes the childless do.
People who are truly childfree don't change their minds. People who are not 100% certain are those who change their minds. I knew at 12 or 13 that I didn't want kids, and I'm 50 now and haven't changed my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment