Sunday, January 17, 2010

I have a question for 'permanant' childfree people.?

I figure there are some childfree individuals in this category, but where else could I post?





But the question is, how old were you when you made the decision to never have children in your life?I have a question for 'permanant' childfree people.?
I saw this question on the front page, together with the questions from all categories.


I started having child-free thoughts when I was 17. I had to change my niece's diaper- it was the most disgusting thing ever. Plus, I was never really excited about babies- they are slimy, they scream, and they are kind of gross.


Now, for the rational part:


I traveled a lot when I was in college (I was an exchange student twice) and I realized that I couldn't give my lifestyle up just because of kids.


Later, I went to graduate school, and now I have a job that lets me travel 1/2 the year (right now, I'm stuck at an airport). I work 70 hours a week, but I love how challenging and exciting my job is, and I don't think kids are worth giving up the excitement.


Some would call me selfish, but I think it's less selfish to be child free than to have a child you don't want.I have a question for 'permanant' childfree people.?
I think as you put it in the parenting catergory you wont get any answers from childfree people. I'm your contact so I got sent your question, but I don't think childfree people would hangout in the parenting section?
I made the decision when I was about 19 or so...and I'm only 24 now. I've researched and read about being childfree, and I know being (permanently) childfree is the right decision for me.





I asked a similar question to this on parenting a while ago and people became angry...but there's no ';non-parenting'; section...so where else should I have posted it? Eh well.
We were 30, and I thank God we reached that decision. We just felt in our hearts that it wasn't right for us, although there was no logical reason for it at the time. We had no idea that less than 10 years later we would have a battered, angry 14 year old nephew move in with us. (His stepfather abused him) We also didn't foresee that both my parents and my husband's single mom would become elderly, sick, and totally dependent upon us.





If we had been trying to manage children-into-teenagers when all the rest of life started going to hell in a handbasket, it would have been TOUGH on everyone, and would have robbed those children of their childhood. We haven't had time or energy for much else besides needy, sick family members.





Although we couldn't have known what was coming down the pike, I think following our hearts saved us more grief than we could have imagined. Not that children are a grief - but trying to raise them in the environment that circumstances thrust us into would have been a nightmare for all concerned.
I never thought about it until my former room-mate who is older than I am (also on here), told me what child free is.





That was about 3 years ago (I was 22). I had my vasectomy in October of last year (25 years old).
I was living the child free lifestyle until i got pregnant with my son.





I never wanted children. I HATED kids! That was up until i was 23 years old.





But, now that i have my son, my mind has changed. I want a few more!
I don't hang out in this category, just happened to see your question.





I never ';made a decision'; to never have children, it just ended up happening that way. Having 10 neices and nephews does make it a bit easier.
Sorry, but at 19 you are no where near the maturity level required to want to have a child of your own to nurture, teach ect. Give yourself sometime you still have your Mamas milk breath at 19 honey.
for sure about 30, but like 99% sure before that from about age 20 onward. its the right choice for me, no doubt.
I do regular searches for the word ';Child-Free'; in all categories. I never miss a question about my favorite subject.





As stated before I knew when I was 15. I had a vasectomy when I was 21. I thought I was a freak, until I was about 25, when I leaned that it was not just me, but didn't know it had a name. I heard the name ';Child-Free'; when I was 40.
just wanted to mention that cutting children out of your life is kind of a bad idea, they can bring so much joy, you are missing out on a lot. dont look at other kids, they are annoying and grose and annoying! trust me when they look and act like you its an amazing thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment