Friday, January 15, 2010

How often do childfree individuals and couples face discrimination?

Ok first off, I'm a young childfree individual by choice. I won't change my mind!





I faced it alot, mostly on the net. I been called an animal, arrogant, selfish, and said I will change my mind, I won't! And they say I'm too young to make this decision, which annoys me when they say that.








But the question is, how often do childfree people face discrimination from other people, esp. parents and wannabe parents?How often do childfree individuals and couples face discrimination?
I'm not sure if I would call it discrimination, but my husband and I get the most crap from our family for not having children (It's not by choice though. we try to have children but can't). They talk bad about us and about God (because we say it's up to Him to give us children or not) Other than that people in the community tend to ask us about it and kind of either look down on us or feel sorry for us. It sucks. But what are ya gonna do? It is hurtful, but you really can't take it seriously because people are stupid and don't know what they're doing anyway.How often do childfree individuals and couples face discrimination?
Thanks =)

Report Abuse



You may experience discrimination from doctors. Most doctors will not perform sterilization (tubal litigation or vasectomy) unless the patient has children and is at least in their 30s.





Also, the government is currently urging doctors to treat all women of child bearing age as ';pre-pregnant.'; Even though I am not childfree, this bothers me because it treats us like we are just baby factories.





I think that most people are more polite in real life than they are on the web. When you have a career, your coworkers won't call you an animal, but they might put some pressure on you to change your ming.
I thought your last paragraph was going to ask about childless discrimination at the workplace...I definitely know it's there.





To answer your question, as long as you voice your opinion (out in the air) people will try to convince you it's better to have at least one child. If you're getting opposition then just don't start that discussion, and don't discuss it. It's as simple as that. And, you don't have to hang around people who want to convince you, just get busy and do your thing (I'm sure you have lots of other things you'd like to accomplish in life). or, to get them off your back you can always use the phrase ';we'll see how it goes';.





As far as ';how often'; I don't think there are statistics on that.
First of all, if its your choice to be childless then kudos. I just don't understand why people find it necessary to tell others how they should live their lives. Its none of their business as to why you don't have or want a child. Nor is it any of your concern as to why they do. Not that you were wondering even. None the less, I have been in your shoes (sort of) except for one day I would like to have a child. However, my dilemma is that I am single and I am having a real hard time finding a quality man to date. Its like I am being forced to meet, marry and multiply all for the sake of some stupid biological clock. Family members constantly ask me why I do not ever seem to date. Its not that I don't want too, its just that I don't have anyone to go out with. So see I do understand how you feel in a way and yes it can be real annoying at times. Next time you are approached about the subject, just turn it around on them...turn about is fair play.
It's weird out there. I decided that I didn't want children and married a man who doesn't mind one way or the other. He was up for a promotion (one of two people) and the other guy got chosen because he has kids (my husband was told this). I was personally furious, but it's my husband's business how he handles it. He has since then excelled because he doesn't. He is more available to travel for long periods of time to more outlandish places. For me, it's worked both ways as well. A lot of times, when people find I don't have children, they assume i have more time to spend/more time to work on things and i get bigger projects, that come with more prestige than those who constantly have to 'get home for the kids' or leave to pick up sick kids. On the other hand, it has also been interpreted that I just haven't 'gotten there yet' so that employers think they're looking at someone who;ll end up preggers under their watch. i just learned yesterday that my sis in law is expecting and i thought i would get relief from having to negotiate the so when are you question. but the whole thing just is a goo goo gaga fest and then eveyone turns and looks at me, like, well you;ve been together for almost ten years, hello! i think i'll just have to respond, when i get pregnant. Which will be never.
I dont see why you would be discriminated against. Honestly its your choice whether or not you want a child. In fact I comend you for that because there are too many people having children just to have it and than they go and **** that child's life up. Some people shouldnt be parents. But if you really dont want one dont worry there are many individuals like you out there. And if you get a lot of steam from others just say that you cant have children or something to get them off your case. Man people need a life.
I don't know the statistics, but I'm OK with child free people. They are helping control the world population :)
Whhaaaa?? You've been called an animal because you don't have kids?
I was trying to get pregnant and was treated horribly because I can't get pregnant. People suck.
Sometimes I think I must live on another planet than most people on Answers. I do not know of one couple, who has chosen to be ';childfree'; who has been called the names you have. We have all kinds of acquintances and friends who are married with children, or married without children, or not married and living together for years, and gay couples who are happily living together. We accept all of them as individuals who have made their own choices and who has every right to choose how they should live.





If you choose to be ';childless';, then you shold not face discrimination from anybody. I have six adult children and grandchildren, but I do not discriminate against those I know who choose to not have children.





All I can say is, maybe you should drop these so called friends and acquintances and start all over, in a more positive atmosphere.





What you choose to do with your life is nobody else's business but your own and why others think they have the right to judge you, is beyond me.





Peace and love,

No comments:

Post a Comment