Wednesday, January 13, 2010

How often do childfree individuals and couples face discrimination?

Ok first off, I'm a young childfree individual by choice. I won't change my mind!





I faced it alot, mostly on the net. I been called an animal, arrogant, selfish, and said I will change my mind, I won't! And they say I'm too young to make this decision, which annoys me when they say that.








But the question is, how often do childfree people face discrimination from other people, esp. parents and wannabe parents?How often do childfree individuals and couples face discrimination?
I, like you, knew from a young age that I didn't want kids. People would say ';all woman want children'; or ';you'll change your mind when you have one'; but I knew I wouldn't and I was right not to have any. I was very lucky because my husband did not want any kids either.





My husband and I have been married for many years now and we still get asked when we are having children. ';time is ticking'; seems to be the favourite saying at the moment. ;-)





You are neither an animal, selfish or arrogant...if more people were responsible as you then the world would be a better place. Stick to your guns ...I did and I am happier for it. ;-)





Good question by the wayHow often do childfree individuals and couples face discrimination?
From what I hear a lot of childless people face this, I don't understand why though, I mean, having kids isn't for everyone and there's nothing wrong with not having a child. It's not selfish to choose not to have kids, if you know it's not for you then at least you are being honest. I personally think that people who have kids just to fit in are a hell of a lot more selfish than those who don't have kids.





I'm a soon to be mother myself but I will NEVER look down on someone who doesn't wish to have children.





A person should have children because they want to be good parents, not because they want to fit in with everyone else.
Been getting that discrimation for 12 years my friend. Me and my husband are child free by choice and the questions never let up.
I think that childfree people are usually discrinated against by parents, wrongly. The main thought expressed toward the CFP is that since they dont have any children that they dont understand much and dont appreciate much. They can also be looked at as being selfish... which is wrong ato an extent. If your reasoning for being CFP is self-centered than maybe u are a bit selfish... As long as you have good reasoningand intentions being a CFP isn't all that bad. And although I dont want to be a CFP I definitely don't have the right ot discriminate against you because of your beliefs.


Just remember to BE YOU!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~GOOD LUCK!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Most of the discrimination is financial - we just don't get all the tax breaks etc that people do just for squeezing out a few sprogs.





From how we are treated, I'd say the worst thing is that people basically don't treat us like adults. It's like we haven't reproduced, so therefore we don't REALLY understand how the real world operates.





If we have an opinion, then people just answer, ';Wait till you have children'; (and then supposedly our political and social views will magically change). It's pretty annoying, actually.





Socially, it's hard to meet other couples, because they don't feel like we have anything in common, or because they don't us attending family-oriented activities. I mean, most of my friends meet other friends through parenting activities and their children, so it's a lot harder for us.





In a way, we look forward to being old when everybody else will be childless as well.
I would say all child free individuals and couples face intrinsic discrimination is society.





I am Australian and we recently had a general election for a new federal government. During the campaigning prior to the election, the politicians on both sides were frantically trying to out do each other in promoting tax breaks and special payments and services for families and mothers with babies. Of course this was no different from any other election in the past.





The point is that single people subsidize the children of others through higher taxation. Govermental policies regard the needs of adults with children to be more important that that of childless adults. Nobody tries to entice the vote of the childless adults, they are not considered a legitimate demographic and even to suggest they are is often regarded as something perverse. Politicians have even said they are unashamedly pro-family biased in their policies and this is simply an admission they are discriminatory (but in a legal manner since there are no policies to protect single people as a demographic).





I am childless by choice. I believe that our world has far too many people and a lot of people who demand the right to children are basically selfish. If they believe in children so much, why not adopt rather than give the overburdened planet (and single taxpayers) another mouth to freed?
its up to you what you want in your life and people should not comment, as they dont know your reasons! i am a mum of 5 but some of my friends have no children, but i dont nag them, up to the individual!
It's a TREND, don't worry about it, there was a time when young couples were discriminated against for HAVING children. It will spin back around soon enough, that's how trends go.
I think that it is common. I saw a docu years ago about infertile couples and there was a couple in Wales who were really ostracised because they didn't have children. That it wasn't by choice did not matter to the morons in their town .


It's a bloody disgrace - childfree is a great choice - far too many people have kids with no thought whatsoever, and all the anti abortion mob do not help.
I'm 39 and childfree. People used to tell me I'd change my mind, but I haven't yet! Most of the people I know IRL are okay with my decision, or at least smart enough to act like they are.





Here is the biggest discrimination against childfree people: taxes. We pay more in income taxes because we do not get the child tax credits. We pay property taxes for school systems we will never use. And the new economic stimulus bill coming up also discriminates against us because it provides additional money for each child.
I've faced my fair share of it, but those opinions just bounce off nowadays. The childfree lifestyle is still a new concept, and it'll take a while before it becomes acceptable to others.
If anything, I think they are more likely to be discriminated against by family members than they are by friends or other people. Most childless people I know say that they didn't really get pressure from their friends or acquaintances but they sure got it from family members. They also said that they found themselves being excluded from family get-togethers because since children were going to be there, they probably wouldn't enjoy it anyway.





Edit: to those who complain about having to pay taxes to support schools that they will never use, let me mention that the children of other people will be paying for their Social Security and Medicaid when they get old so it evens out. There are a lot of things my tax dollars go into that don't benefit me personally but it doesn't bother me because I feel it's for the common good.
I don't want children. I just simply don't. Many people have bothered me about this, mostly men. My dad always says, ';You'll change your mind,'; with a little smile and it annoys me to no end. A lot of men think every woman wants children. And it's also ';normal'; to have kids.
First you must define discrimination. There is a clear difference between discrimination and criticism.





Childless employees are often rewarded financially and in rank at work. Whereas employees with children face real consequence.





I think the difference is criticism or discrimination. I do not think people with no children face much discrimination.





Just my opinion. And, a great question.
I dont know,but it's understandable(didnt say right,just understandable), cuase kids are generally viewed a a blessing from God to be cherished, and not despised.

No comments:

Post a Comment