Friday, January 15, 2010

What are the things you enjoy about being childfree?

Also what do you feel are the cons to being childfree by choice if you feel there are any? For example with me I feel its harder to find someone else that is also of this mindset to conversate withWhat are the things you enjoy about being childfree?
First of all there are no cons except for:





1. As a childfree person you are expected to carry more income tax burden.


2. As a rule, people with children are very rude toward us.


3. Dating can be difficult if you are under about 35.








Pros:





1. I can get up when I want.


2. I can take 3 or more vacations a year.


3. I can walk around my house nude.


4. I own a private swimming pool, but do not own a swim suit.


5. I don鈥檛 pay child support.





What are the things you enjoy about being childfree?
To the person who said 'me, me ME attitude'; childfree is selfish, so yes it's all bout 'me', just as people who want children are selfish.





I like being childfree because I hate children, and I do not want to spend my time with someone who does not comprehend logic, reason, ability to calm themselves and all those things kids/toddles/babies can't do.





I also like having nothing to take care of besides my cats, who can bugger off after I've played with them for an hour.





I enjoy being childfree because I don't need to have kids to feel fulfilled, I already feel I'm a person worthwhile, without spawning some brats to make my mark on society.
Enjoy: Can plan a last minute roadtrip/vacation without worries.


My schedule is not dictated by soccer practice, doctor appts


All my attention is on my spouse, as his is on me.


****Yes, my reasons are selfish in nature, but to be honest, I am not ready to give up those up yet. Maybe in the future, but at this time, at least I am honest about it and am with someone that feels the same way.





Cons? Constantly being asked ';when are you going to have kids?'; or have constant pressure from the parents to ';get started already';





I do get that ';ga-ga baby'; and ';want a baby'; feeling once in a while when I am coo-ing over someone else's baby. But that is normally a feeling that does not stay long.





When my husband is deployed, it can get lonely. And if, god forbid, something were to happen to him during deployments, I wouldn't have a child with him.....someone to have his silly personality or his eyes or his smile. (ok...this answer is starting to make me tear up....crap)








Anywho, when the time is right...if it ever is, I will consider the option of having children. But right now? No. I don't want them quite yet. And I don't feel that list of cons I provided are good enough reason to have kids at this time.
I admire if a couple chooses not to have kids. My husband and I have adult kids from prior marriages and they are self supporting and wonderful. When he and I married 8 years ago we both decided to not have any children of our own and that was our decision. I love his daughters and he loves my son. 3 is enough. I had sugery to have my tubes tied because we have enough. they are a blessing. I have a wonderful friend that chose to not have kids or get married. She is a nice lady and a teacher. that is her choice and she is happy with that. She is almost 70 and is happy just teaching her students. She is my BFF and a great lady.
Actually, I have 2 sons who are now adults (ages 20 and 22). They both live out on their own. One is married.


So I consider myself to be in a child free home. Although, I sometimes miss the family activities, I've found that there are advantages to not having a child at home.


1. My husband and I can pick up and go places whenever we feel like it.


2. We have control of the television and stereo.


3. No more parent-teacher conferences, or being forced to watch school activities just because my child is in them.


4. We can sleep as long as we want, and take naps if we want to.


5. We have more money left over to ';play with'; after bills are taken care of.


6. We have food in the refrigerator, and the leftovers are still there when we want to eat them. And we can find the snacks.


7. We can go out to dinner with another couple and have adult conversations. (And it doesn't have to be fast food)





Just a few of my thoughts.
And what does this have to do with marriage or divorce?





Just wondering.





And not to sound like a jerk, but I have always noticed people that are ';childfree'; always have this snooty air about them....just read the few answers you have already gotten...just snotty sounding answers....all, ME ME ME type answers are really put-off-ish.....
Freedom to live my life the way I choose. The only con I can think of is not having grandchildren. I've always thought that the reason most people have children in the first place is to eventually get grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment