Sunday, January 17, 2010

To those who decided to be childfree permanently, what has that been like for you?

This is for the cf. Those people who decided they don't want kids at all. What has that been like for you? Do you ever regret it? What are some good things that have come out of being childfree?To those who decided to be childfree permanently, what has that been like for you?
I was an ';early articulator,'; one of those people who knew as a child that I didn't want kids. I made the decision early and never looked back; I knew it was the right one for me from the very beginning.





I've been able to devote myself to my career and travel. My husband is a little more laid-back about his work, but he loves to travel too. We wouldn't have been able to see the world and I couldn't pursue my doctorate if we had kids. And I'm not telling you this to brag on my life, just to make the point that I've been able to devote myself to what matters to me, and kids are not one of those things. We all want certain things in life and see ourselves as ';successful'; when we get what we want. Some people think my life sounds lonely and nomadic, but I don't see it that way because I'm doing the things I want.





If you're on the fence about it, take time to think about everything in detail--all the pros and cons. What do you want to do with your life? Do you want kids wholeheartedly, or do you figure ';eh, it's what you do when you grow up';? And if you decide kids don't fit into your life, understand you may get some pressure from family members and acquaintances who think because they have kids you should too, or that your decision not to have them is an attack on them and their choices. (I hope it doesn't come to that for you. I'm just sayin', it happens.) Good luck to you.To those who decided to be childfree permanently, what has that been like for you?
I don't regret it at all. I will not like them around, and that isn't fair to either of us. And even if you do want them, you should really think about how good a parent you will be, and if it is fair to them.





The only bad thing that comes out of it is people telling me I'm wrong, or ';I say that now, but I'll change my mind later.'; But my favorite response was ';Who will take care of you when you are older and in failing health.'; All I can say is, if that's why you are having kids , you shouldn't, because in the end, they'll hate you for it, and will probably not take care of you.
I grew up very poor, in the middle of no place. My chances of going to college or being someone pretty much didn鈥檛 exist.





I decided to be child-free when I was 17 and some girl accused me of fathering her child. When I was 21 I had a vasectomy. Since then, most of my high-school friends had children.





Today all my friends complain about child support, and how useless their adult children are.





Me, I have a college education, a white collar job, and a passport full of stamps., I have a house with a swimming pool, and a Jeep that is paid for but still in warranty. I have 60K in my 401K. My entertainment budget is about $200 a week. I go on 4 vacations a year. I have hiked the Grand Canyon twice. I have been deer hunting. None of my friends who had children have anything like this.





Nothing I own is broken. I have no fingerprints on my TV screen, or mirrors. My house has never been TP鈥檈d.





I don't pay child support. I can swim nude in my pool. Best of all: I am almost 42, and everyone thinks I am only about 30. Yup, no gray hair! No hair loss! No wrinkles in my face!





I have no regrets of any kind.





At work I can stay as late as I like (I don't have to pick anyone up after school).





The only headache, I have, is people treat me like crap over it.
  • eye shadow
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment