Friday, January 15, 2010

Has anyone ever got the term ';childfree'; confused with ';childless';?

Some people have misread these words. I hear people say ';I used to be childfree';. Well if they wanted kids, then they weren't meant to be childfree.





Childfree = A person who never wants children.


Childless = A person who doesn't have kids.


Childed = A person who wants children.





Has anyone ever got these words confused with one another?Has anyone ever got the term ';childfree'; confused with ';childless';?
I think childless should go away, it's like us poor people are missing out of something. I don't want kids!Has anyone ever got the term ';childfree'; confused with ';childless';?
Yes, until I knew that ';childfree'; was a word I called all couples with no kids ';childless';.





Because, you know, whether you have no kids because you are infertile or because you chose not to, technically you are still childless. Childless means you have no kids; it doesn't speak to the reason for having no kids.





The whole thing seems a bit like arguing semantics to me, you know?
I have used the word childfree to describe someone who chose not to have kids and someone attempted to correct my poor English. I had to explain the difference to her. I think anyone who has chosen not have kids knows exactly what these nuances are all about.
If they used to not want kids and now do, then that statement could be accurate. ';Childfree'; is someone who doesn't want children right now - otherwise no one could be considered ';Childfree'; until they died, proving that they 'never' wanted children.
I've never heard the term childed.


Childfree means you have no children and you like it that way.


Childless means you have no children but you hope to.


Parent means you have children, whether or not you wanted them.
Childed means a person who has children.





I never confused them, but pretty much everyone who has children does.
';Childfree'; - like ';smokefree'; - suggests children are toxic, or at least unhealthy to be around.
  • eye shadow
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment