Wednesday, January 13, 2010

In a job interveiw, should I voluntarily tell them I am single and childfree?

I know it is illegal for them to ask me that, but would it be to my advantage to tell them without being asked? Maybe say something like,'; Seeing as I am single and childless I would have no problem working overtime'; Or could it backfire on me somehow? Or should I wait to mention it after an offer, when negotiating salary?In a job interveiw, should I voluntarily tell them I am single and childfree?
If you are applying at a company where most people are Catholic, or the interviewer is a hardcore Catholic, it could work against you.





My girlfriend and I are Childfree. I only became aware of it a few years ago.





If you can make it sound positive like, “I have no children so I am available for overtime and travel”. I found that it does not help to say, “I have no children, so I won’t be a heavy burnden on the companies health insurance’.





Good luck, and congratulations on being childfree!In a job interveiw, should I voluntarily tell them I am single and childfree?
I don't think so. In some states, such as Florida it is illegal to judge someone on their marital status. Marital status is not protected under Federal Law, so it varies from state-to-state. If you are interviewing with a large employer in a state where it is illegal, you may make them uncomfortable.





Instead: say you are avialible for overtime, tell them you have an excellent work ethic and do not take unschedules days off. (I usaully say, I've been working for 15 years and called out of work 5 times in that time period due to emergencies). However, that is all just hear say to the employer. Focus on your talent and skills. Tell them any accompishments you made at your other jobs (ex. made filing more efficeint by color coding or we used to outsource a lot of computer repairs, but I was able to reduce cost because I have the nessesary skills to repair computers myself)





Vist to find more interview tips:


http://interviewdoc.com/documents/MoreIn…
Yeah I would mention that, when the interviewer asks about you personally. You dont want to come off like you are looking for overtime cause you might not get it if there is rarely any to get, and dont want to be the go to girl for weekends and latenights. It maybe ok sometimes, but you may not always want it.





Once you see the flow of the interview, find the appropirate time bring it up, if you feel that the interviewer probably wont.
I think it would be a terrible thing to do. Once you suggest that you are always available for extra work beyond your normal duties, it will always be expected of you. Then you have not right to complain if you get overworked.





It is none of their business. Show them that you are the person they want because you are the most qualified, and talented and that you will give your best efforts.





And what happens when you get in a relationship, or get married, or have kids? Should they then get rid of you because you are no longer willing to work overtime on demand?





Don't offer the info even when negotiating salary. It will come back to haunt you.
i say that mite be a good thing to say [:
Don't mention it.





I am childfree also, and the interview is not the place to make an issue of anything other than what you can do for the company, as defined in the job description.





I definitely wouldn't be overeager about saying ';I have no problem working overtime'; (even if you feel that way) because guess what? You WILL be working that overtime when the parents skip out because Suzy has ballet or Johnny has a sniffle, and then you'll be the only one who's always in the office on Friday afternoon or holidays. Since you don't have commitments (kids), your time is perceived as not as valuable. In that aspect, stating your childfreedom has the potential to backfire on you. A little OT may come with the territory, but when people try to dump their work on you it gets old.





Instead I would say in the interview, ';I have no outside commitments that would interfere with my work.'; Plus, in the pre- and post-interview chitchat you can talk about your non-child-friendly hobbies to get the point across without ever stating it directly (collection of blown-glass artworks, backpacking through the Andes...you get the idea).
In most all interviews, you're given a chance to sell yourself. When your mentioning things that would make you a desireable candidate, you may say something like, ';I am a hard, determined individual. Since I am single and without children at present, I put all my energy and focus into my work.';





You may want to word it differently, but use it in some context of your skills and dedication. I wouldn't just say, ';Oh yeah, I'm single and childfree, btw.'; lol
keep it to yourself. they could also look at it and assume that means your unstable and not able to commit to a person or job.
You could word it that you do not have children so working overtime is not a problem for you.





I wouldn't say I'm single and have no children. Most employers are happy to hear that you don't have a tie like children that would keep you out of work or cause you to have to rush off at the end of the day when you have a huge project due.





So don't volunteer the information unless they ask if you're able to work overtime if required for a project, it's the legal way of finding out if you have children or a husband you have to run home to, then you can say I have no problems with working overtime to get a job done.
That's a great way of saying you are single. The question is only illegal when the employer is asking the question. It is not a crime to say you are single to support your answer.
  • philosophy
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment