Monday, May 10, 2010

Why do parents feel the need to preach about the joys of parenthood to the childfree?

We already know that ';it's all worth it';. We've already heard that ';you'll change your mind one day';. Or that ';it's the most important jb in the world';.





We don't preach to you about the joys of being childfree and try and talk you into NOT having children. Not all people want children and not all people are fulfilled by parenthood.





So why do you still feel the need to preach to the childfree about how great parenthood is?Why do parents feel the need to preach about the joys of parenthood to the childfree?
I think that every parent who is honest will admit that they think of what their life would be like if they didn't have kids. The trips that they would take, the great hobbies they would have time to do, the great shape they would be in if they had all that time to go to the gym, how clean their house would be, etc. Whether all that is true or not doesn't matter. I think a lot of that preaching about how wonderful it is to have children is mostly about convincing themselves that having children was a good trade off with all of those other things that might have been if they didn't have children.





Also, there are a lot of really great things about parenthood that parents think other people just can't miss out on. But I totally agree with you that some people don't have that burning desire to have children and that it is silly to try to convince them.





In this day and age, it should be a choice, and some people know themselves well enough to know that parenthood isn't for them. It isn't like our species is in danger of extinction or that the only point in life is to reproduce. In the past, really the only way that many women could find meaning in life was to make a home and fill it with kids to take care of. Now that there are so many more options for women, the attitude that everyone must procreate has got to go away!





I think that the only thing you can do with these kind of people is to smile and try and change the subject. Just ask a parent how their kid is doing in school or what the kid's latest achievement is and they will be totally off the subject of you and on to raving about how wonderful their progeny is!Why do parents feel the need to preach about the joys of parenthood to the childfree?
i don't. i think most people don't. though i certainly am happy to talk about what i think of parenthood if asked.





i'm sure you mean why do *some* parents. just as, i've noticed, *some* childfree people feel the need to bash parenthood and children generally.





some people are jerks. it affects parents and nonparents equally.
That is rude. If someone knows you're childfree by choice, they have no business saying anything to you about it. I have a friend who doesn't want kids and I applaud her for it. There are enough moms who don't want to parent her kids. She's not going to be one of them.
I dont! I have many child free by choice friends, they love my kids but don;t want to take them home!!! We find alot of things to talk about. If someone ask me my opinion, I say that parenthood is not for the faint of heart, but its the right choice for me!!
i love having kids but some dont- you may change your mind one day or you may not- it's your choicde but it is a big one-it's a huge responsibility





i never even thought to ask anyone why they didnt have kids or even chose that route. for all i know it could be a sensitive subject
Lol. I'd never preach to you. How dare I try to push a child on someone that doesn't want one? Kids deserve better than that. As a grown adult, surely you can make your own choices. Why need a stranger to browbeat you into one? My stepmother has no bio children, only 2 of us from my Dad's first marriage. If that's the way they wanted it, that's how it is. I'd never presume anything differently.
When you refer to ';you'; in your question, you are not referring to ME because I do not have children. Will not have children, never had children, don't want children. Nobody seems to raz me about it. Just tell those people that you are NOT having children and ask them to change the subject! It's none of their business. What if you Can't, that's not their business either and yet they keep asking you don't they? It's annoying and something you just want to say SHUT THE 'F'; UP! but you are too polite and you don't. At some point, you are going to be so tired of it that you are going to ask them ';what part of ';NO'; don't you understand?';


Now that I am 44, nobody will dare tell me I'll change my mind or go into that whole lecture. When people ask if I have kids I say ';No kids, cats'; I have three cats, a bird some walking stick bugs, gonna get a puppy. THOSE are my children and my husband and I are just peachy fine dandy with that.


And I like how you put that. We are not ';childless'; we are ';childfree'; Free to do what we want. Free to not be burdened by kids, free to spend our money elsewhere, free from the HUGE responsibility free from....you get it.
maybe they are insecure........


as an expectant mother i have never made those comments to anyone.


its good to be carefree i loved it but at this moment im not but its all good.
I've never tried to push parenthood on anyone. Not everyone has what it takes to be a good parent, and that's OK. I respect those who realize they're not parent material and make the decision to remain childless.


Similarly, my husband and I HAVE been told by childless people how great it is not having kids, and asked why on Earth we would want to ';give up our lives'; for our children. In fact, when I mentioned to a close (childless) friend that my husband and I are happily awaiting Baby #2, she asked me why we'd want to have to go through raising another kid. Needless to say, she won't be invited to the baby shower!


For us, we haven't given up anything; our lives have only been enhanced by our son. We still have an active social life, but we personally love being with our son more than anything. I realize not everyone feels the same way, and that's fine. To each her own.
One can only know how great it is if they are a parent. I am a parent of two and do not preach to people who are child free unless they ask me about it. People who plan on being child free are usually strong animal lovers. Are you? I love my dog, but it's a completely different kind of love. Just live your life one day at a time the way you want to. If you change your mind one day than great for you....if you decide to be child free than great for you. Life is to short to worry about what other people think.
CHILDFREE OR CHILDLESS?

No comments:

Post a Comment