Monday, May 10, 2010

I am Currently on Depakote 250mg. I am pondering becoming childfree. I need Advice!?

I am going to be straight up. Ive had seizures since 1999. I am currently on Depakote 250 mg twice a day. Currently the depakote has been controlling my seizures very well. I have the typeof seizures that are aggrivated by lack of sleep, which I have heard that children don't let you sleep much if at all. This comes from ppl I know who have children...they tell me this...





Depakote causes severe birth defects that can include death in 1% of births....which is too much of a risk for me. I like the way that depakote controlls my seizures and don't want to switch meds to some unknown that may not control them as well. If I have a seizure it means lifestyle and driving restrictions, which I refuse to give up.


Consequently, I am considering the possibility of not having children.





I need advice on this please!!!I am Currently on Depakote 250mg. I am pondering becoming childfree. I need Advice!?
It appears that you have done your research somewhat. However, do not base your decision upon fears. Keep researching. Children are born with birth defects all the time from unknown reasons. That is just the risk that is taken when you decide to have children. On the other hand, there are many, many children who need a good, loving parent, that are past the *don't let mommy and daddy sleep* stage. Basically, you CAN still have children, you just choose not from your uterus! lol Good Luck in your decision!I am Currently on Depakote 250mg. I am pondering becoming childfree. I need Advice!?
The best thing would be to talk to you doctor and also get a second maybe a third opinion. Babies do keep you awake the have to eat about every two hours
CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR NOT A BUNCH OF WEB GEEKS.
This may be difficult for you as you are converting yourself from ';Childless'; to ';Child-free';. There is a big difference you must understand. ';Childless'; means you could not or decided not to have children due to circumstances like health, etc. ';Child-free'; people choose to not have children because they just plan don't want them. ';Child-free'; people are sometimes a little ego-centric about their choice. Many may be somewhat offended if you say you are ';Child-free because of health';. You might find that you don't fit well with ';Child-free'; people for this reason.





Either way you are wise to choose the path of caution. You could have a perfectly health baby, and turn out to be a great mom, but the odds are not in your favor. I suggest that it is better to error on the side of caution. I stand behind you on this.
I have 2 girls who are 3.5 %26amp; 5. They do sometimes make it hard to get enough sleep but all kids are different %26amp; it depnds on how much help you would be getting from a spouse or other helpers as to how har it would be on you.


You can also train your baby from a very early age to be on your schedule. So if you stay up late just because it is you %26amp; the sleep late, you can put your baby on your schedule.


I know lots of people who have always worked 3rd shift %26amp; their whole family is on that schedule, kids too! The only thing you would have to worry about is when they go to school. But you could just homeschool them.

1 comment: